Dilara Sultana posted a list of Year in Review questions on her blog. I'm really not the type to look back on the things I've done; I'm more of a forward momentum kind of gal, but just this once I thought "Why not?"
1. What did you do in 2011 that you've never done before? I made a commitment, inspired by another belly dancer, Lisa Zahiya, to devote a minimum of 30 minutes a day to dance practice.
2. Did you keep your belly dance New Year's resolution and will you have any for this year? Yes, I did!! You can read about it here.
3. Did you introduce a newbie to belly dance. No, I didn't. Most of the people that I met in 2011 were already belly dancers.
4. What travels did you take and did you involve belly dance in them? Nope. No traveling last year.
5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? More free time and my very own yoga/dance room.
6. What dates from 2011 remained etched upon your memory and why? As relates to belly dance the decision to leave my troupe has left me feeling incredibly sad. In my personal life the day my daughter started pre-school is burned into my soul. I felt completely lost, disorientated, and nauseous for about a week.
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year? LOL! Well, that would have to be dancing & practicing at least 30 minutes a day for 379 days.
8. What was your biggest failure? Allowing my view of myself to become distorted.
9. Did you suffer illness or injury? And how! I devoted most of February to hurting myself. First, I pulled some muscles in my back not once, but twice. The same muscles! I followed that up with tripping over the vacuum cleaner cord and breaking a bone in my left foot.
10. What was the best thing you bought? A new TV!
11. What did you get really excited about? Meeting and taking workshops from Rachel Brice, Silvia Salamance, and Elizabeth Strong.
12. What do you wish you had done more of? Dancing with props like cane and sword.
13. What do you wish you had done less of? Shimmy drills. Just kidding! I really do wish I had been less hard on myself in all areas of my life, not just belly dance.
14. What seemed to get in the way of your belly dancing? Lack of time and a really good dance space.
15. What was your favorite music from this year? Adele! I know she has nothing whatsoever to do with belly dancing, but man, oh man! That chick is amazing!
16. What did you do on your birthday? Nothing.
17. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Winning the lottery and being able to afford a live-in nanny.
18. How would you describe your belly dance style in 2011? Same as every other year, cabaret, with a little bit of tribal exploration thrown in for added flavor.
19. What were the major influences on your belly dance journey in 2011? Carrie Konyha's Goddess Grove workshop; dancing without fear, judgement, or scrutiny was sheer heaven!
Dilara's blog ended with 19 questions because she likes prime numbers, but I like playing "20 Questions:"
What's in store for 2012? I don't know. As a belly dancer I would like to be able to find a new troupe to perform with; as a bead artist I would like to see myself in a few more publications; as for my personal life.....let's just say that there are a few new irons in the fire.